Smith & Green may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
Who we are
We are Smith & Green, a company registered in England and Wales, whose registered office is at 9 Hatton Garden, London, EC1N 8AH. Our company registration number is 07786083.
Our trading name is Smith & Green, and our contact details are as follows:
Trading address: 9 Hatton Garden, London, EC1N 8AH
General email: info@
Telephone number: 0044 203 077 0096
What personal data we collect
We may collect the following personal data:
- Identity Data: your name and the name of any recipient of our products - Contact Data: contact information including email, postal, billing and delivery addresses
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Marketing information relevant to our customer surveys, offers or events, including your marketing preferences
- Financial Data, including bank and payment card details, and details of any orders and payments you have made with us
- Technical Data including internet protocol (IP) address, any login data you use on our website, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website, and how you use this website.
We may collect this information:
- from you directly when you subscribe to our service or newsletters, request marketing to be sent to you, request information about our products or services to be sent to you or agree to attend any of our events.
- as you interact with our website, we may automatically collect Technical Data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We collect this by using cookies, and other similar technologies. For the exhaustive list of cookies we use please see the List of cookies we collect section.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
What we do with the personal data we collect
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping. We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- To fulfil enquiries and orders which you have placed with us, including processing payments and delivering products (which includes providing financial information to our bank, and delivery information to our shipping providers).
- To contact you periodically to remind you about servicing products which you have purchased from us.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided, unless you have indicated that you do not with to receive these. You will be given the option to unsubscribe from future promotional emails in each email.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
We have set these purposes out below in the table below:
Type of data
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest
To register you as a new customer or to reply to your enquiry
Performance of a contract with you
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to respond to your enquiry)
To manage our relationship with you which will include:
(a) Notifying you about changes to our terms or Privacy Notice
(b) internal record keeping
(c) to notify you of service reminders for your products"
(c) Marketing and Communications
(a) Performance of a contract with you
(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation (to perform research for our clients)
(c) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep our records updated and to notify you of service reminders for your products)
To administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data)
(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring exercise)
(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
To deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you
(d) Marketing and Communications
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
To use data analytics to improve our website, products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of customers for our products and services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
To make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our products/services and grow our business)
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
Marketing - promotional offers from us
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, any Usage Data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which services or research may be relevant to you (we call this marketing).
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us, subscribed to our newsletters, purchased services from us, or if you provided us with your details when you participated in an interview with us and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time contacting us or clicking the unsubscribe link in our marketing messages at any time.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at info@smithgreenjewellers.
Disclosures of your personal data
We may have to share your personal data with the third parties set out below for the purposes set out in the table above:
- Google and other providers of analytic reporting services relating to your use of our website.
- Xero, who provide us with cloud-based accountancy services.
- Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy notice.
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We do not transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
Security of your data
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
How long will you use my personal data for?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of fulfilling an order, and satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Details of retention periods for different aspects of your personal data can be requested from us by contacting us at the details set out above.
We generally keep Identity and Contact data indefinitely as we have found our customers occasionally ask us to replace purchased products many years later, or to contact you for service reminders for your products.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: please see [Request erasure] below for further information.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your legal rights
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Glossary of Terms
“Legitimate Interest” means the interest of our business in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service and product and the best and most secure experience. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). You can obtain further information about how we assess our legitimate interests against any potential impact on you in respect of specific activities by contacting us as set out above.
“Performance of Contract” means processing your data where it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or to take steps at your request before entering into such a contract.
“Comply with a legal or regulatory obligation” means processing your personal data where it is necessary for compliance with a legal or regulatory obligation that we are subject to.
Your Legal Rights
You have the right to:
1. Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
2. Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
3. Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
4. Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
5. Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data's accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
6. Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
7. Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer, mobile phone or other electronic device if you agree.
We use the following cookies:
· Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
· Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
· Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences.
· Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
We also use Google Analytics and other third-party analytics providers to help measure how users interact with our website content. These cookies “remember” what our users have done on previous pages and how they’ve interacted with the website. For more information on Google Analytics, please visit Google’s information page: https://www.google.com/
Some cookies are necessary to allow you to browse our website, use its features, and access secure areas. The use of these cookies is essential for the website to work, and we do not use these cookies to collect personal information about you. For example, we use user-input cookies for the duration of a session to keep track of a user’s input when filling in forms that span several pages.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our website.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
List of cookies we collect
The table below lists the cookies we collect and what information they store.
COOKIE name - COOKIE Description
CART - The association with your shopping cart.
CATEGORY_INFO - Stores the category info on the page, that allows to display pages more quickly.
COMPARE - The items that you have in the Compare Products list.
CURRENCY - Your preferred currency
CUSTOMER - An encrypted version of your customer id with the store.
CUSTOMER_AUTH - An indicator if you are currently logged into the store.
CUSTOMER_INFO - An encrypted version of the customer group you belong to.
CUSTOMER_SEGMENT_IDS - Stores the Customer Segment ID
EXTERNAL_NO_CACHE - A flag, which indicates whether caching is disabled or not.
FRONTEND - You sesssion ID on the server.
GUEST-VIEW - Allows guests to edit their orders.
LAST_CATEGORY - The last category you visited.
LAST_PRODUCT - The most recent product you have viewed.
NEWMESSAGE - Indicates whether a new message has been received.
NO_CACHE - Indicates whether it is allowed to use cache.
PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART - A link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site.
POLL - The ID of any polls you have recently voted in.
POLLN - Information on what polls you have voted on.
RECENTLYCOMPARED - The items that you have recently compared.
STF - Information on products you have emailed to friends.
STORE - The store view or language you have selected.
VIEWED_PRODUCT_IDS - The products that you have recently viewed.
WISHLIST - An encrypted list of products added to your Wishlist.
WISHLIST_CNT - The number of items in your Wishlist.